Spire.Doc is a professional Word .NET library specifically designed for developers to create, read, write, convert and print Word document files. Get free and professional technical support for Spire.Doc for .NET, Java, Android, C++, Python.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 am

Hi,
I work for a publishing company. We use a Unix-based publishing system whose code base structure is SGML. We have the need to be able to export SGML files as Word files from certain publications of ours, so that outside authors can modify and add to them for a future release of the product. Anyway, the RTF export from our publishing system is terrible. So, I figure I'd have more luck if I just export the raw SGML from the publishing system and then use Word tools, of whatever kind, to convert the SGML to healthy Word files. I've tried VBA, but, unfortunately, VBA does not have the regular expression power that I need. I'm trying to learn VB now. Obviously, it has plenty of regular expression power. But, in cruising the web for solutions, I've found IceBlue. And, I'm very intrigued. Can someone tell me if I can use this .doc product from IceBlue to do what I'm asking? Can I take an SGML file, saved as a Word file, or, should I save it as a text file ? Then, can this product help me create a program that can run extensive searches & replaces on that Word file with resulting paragraph styles embedded in the final output? That would be incredible.

Thanks a lot,
Peter

pb4072

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 am

Hi peter, thanks for inquiry our products.
We're so sorry that we can not export SGML files to word files or text files,
but searches & replaces is no problem.
May help to you.
e-iceblue support

aki.iceblue

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for your response. But, no, I'm not expecting you to be able to digest SGML files. SGML is, as you probably know, is just like XML. It's just ASCII text. So, what I'm doing is just receiving the ascii SGML files and immediately just opening them in Microsoft Word, then saving them as Word files. So, they look weird, because, of course, they're just full of elements and atttributes. Lots of < and > characters. But, they're just characters.
So, I know perfectly well that, with VBA in Word, I can plunge ahead and convert a LOT of this stuff. But, because of the weaknesses of regular expressions in VBA, there's a lot that I can't do. So, I'm just asking if your product will allow me to open up these Word files, do extensive searches & replaces, and, also stylize paragraphs with Word style tags.
Thanks.

pb4072

Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 am

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
If you want to open SGML as Text file, search & replace tag of SGML, Spire.Doc can do this easily.
for more detail information, please download trail version, check demos of installation package.
download link,
http://wwww.e-iceblue.com/Download/down ... t-now.html

Best regards.
Jason Tan
Technical Support / Developer,
e-iceblue Support Team

Jason.Tan

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:28 am

OK. Thanks. I'm installing the demo version now. I don't want to keep the sgml file as a text file, though. I want to make a true Word file from the sgml text file. So, I need the power to make paragraphs stylized with Word styles.

-Peter

pb4072

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 am

Hi pb4072 ,
Thanks for your inquiry.
We are trying to do this.And if succeed,we'll attach a demo.
Best regards!
Justin
e-iceblue Support Team

Justin Weng

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 am

Hi pb4072 ,
The demo is attached!If you have any question,please ask us again.
Thanks!
Justin
e-iceblue Support Team

Justin Weng

Return to Spire.Doc