Spire.XLS is a professional Excel API that enables developers to create, manage, manipulate, convert and print Excel worksheets. Get free and professional technical support for Spire.XLS for .NET, Java, Android, C++, Python.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 am

Hi,

I have a concern, I have this excel file that I can open on MS Excel application and it opens without any issues. The file is password protected to restrict unwanted changes. I want to load it using Spire and I don't know the file password. I'm getting an error it says "Workbook is protected and password wasn't specified."

Is it always necessary to include the password for password protected excel files? I can view it on excel without supplying a password, its just that, some of the cells are protected from editing.

What if we don't know the password? is there a way to open a file using Spire just like in Excel?

Hope for your response.

Cheers,
AL

redmap

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 am

Dear AL,

Thanks for your inquiry.
I created a sample file in which sheet and some cells are protected and it doesn't have open password, then used the latest Spire.Office Platinum Version:2.16 to load the file without the password. The file can be loaded successfully on my side. So we first suggest you use the latest version to check if the issue is solved. If the issue still happens, please offer us the input Excel file so that we could know how the file is protected. Then we will investigate and update you.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:39 am

Hi,

Than ks for your prompt reply. Could you try the attached file if you it behaves the same?

I am using the latest version of Spire.Office. we've made an update yesterday.

Cheers,
Al
Attachments
Karaoke Quiz.rar
(19.77 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

redmap

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 am

Dear AL,

Thanks for the file.
I have reproduced the issue and posted it to our Dev team. We will let you know once there is any progress.
Sorry for inconvenience caused.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:23 am

Dear AL,

Thanks for waiting.
Now here is a hotfix which solves your issue, please download it and have a try.
www.e-iceblue.com/downloads/TempVersion ... 2.16.8.zip
If there is any question, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 am

The first thing you need to do is open protected Excel. There are two common methods:
1. Change the extension (Microsoft Office 2010 or previous versions only).
2. Open a password-protected Excel spreadsheet with VBA (for opening and blocking editing Excel worksheets).
Changing the extension is a relatively simple one.

Lindaad

Tue May 28, 2019 5:58 am

Dear Linda,

Thanks for sharing your solution.
Wish you a nice day!

Sincerely,
Nina
E-iceblue support team

Nina.Tang

Return to Spire.XLS