Spire.PDF is a professional PDF library applied to creating, writing, editing, handling and reading PDF files without any external dependencies. Get free and professional technical support for Spire.PDF for .NET, Java, Android, C++, Python.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am

Hi,

I am trying to set up a workflow where multiple pdf's are generated with different layers deleted.
I created the source pdf's within Adobe Illustrator, but got mixed results when trying to delete layers.

After testing differen acrobat versions and settings for export, I finally realized that when hitting a regular "Save" in illustrator, a lot of extra data are generated i the pdf - namely some sort of layer history, which inserts multiple version of same naed layers in the pdf.

When using "Save as" and overwriting pdf at every save, DeleteOldLayer works perfectly, which is fine for current workflow, but a regular saved pdf with multiple same named layers will also have to work for later use.

Can you confirm my findings?

RNR GFX

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 am

Dear RNR GFX,

Thanks for inquiry.
Please try to use following method.
Code: Select all
page.PageLayers.DeleteOldLayer("red line",true,true);

If the issue still exists, provide us more information, sample file and the code you were using to help us do an investigation.

Thanks,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 am

Hi Betsy,

Issue still remains with both
page.PageLayers.DeleteOldLayer("remove",true,true);

and

page.PageLayers.DeleteOldLayer("remove");

Attached is two files - a "normally" saved pdf (using Save command within illustrator - (test-regular-save-not-working.pdf)) , and a "Save as" version (test-save-as-working.pdf).

A new issue is occurring when testing.
The "Save as" pdf only has one layer, which results in this error:

An error occured

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
 Parameter name: index

EXCEPTION DETAILS

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
 Parameter name: index

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.System.Collections.IList.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at Spire.Pdf.PdfPageLayerCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at Spire.Pdf.PdfPageBase.get_DefaultLayer()
   at Spire.Pdf.PdfPageBase.get_Canvas()
   at BB3.CreatePlanImagesCBY.CustomSavingEventHandlerSpire(IContentService sender, SaveEventArgs`1 e) in C:\IIS\CreatePlanImagesCBY.cs:line 103

My code is:
PdfDocument plan = new PdfDocument();
plan.LoadFromFile(serverPath + planUrl);
PdfPageBase basePage = plan.Pages[0];
basePage.PageLayers.DeleteOldLayer("remove"); // this is line 103

Seems it can't get Pages[0] ?
When adding another layer to the PDF and using "Save as", DeleteOldLayer works fine.

RNR GFX

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 am

Dear RNR GFX,

Thanks for your detailed information.
I have noticed that the layer(named "remove" in file test-regular-save-not-working.pdf ) can not be deleted. I have posted the issue to our Dev team, we will inform you once there is any progress.
But about another file(test-save-as-working.pdf), you said it only has one layer, but I see it has two layers, see attachment.
And I can remove the layer named "remove" successfully and doesn't encounter any issue with the latest Spire.PDF Pack(Hot Fix) Version:3.8.121.
Maybe the sample file you provided is wrong ? Or you can try that version ?

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 am

Dear RNR GFX,

Thanks for waiting.
Now the first issue that the layer named "remove" in file test-regular-save-not-working.pdf can not be deleted has been resolved in Spire.PDF Pack(Hot Fix) Version:3.8.173. Welcome to test it.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:44 am

Dear RNR GFX,

Did you test the hotfix ? Has the issue been resolved ?
Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Wed May 31, 2017 6:38 pm

I am also have problems with PageLayers.

I am trying to use layers to put watermarks on documents. I add three layers to each page: header, body, and footer, each with a key. E.g.,
PdfPageLayer layer = page.PageLayers.Add("header");

When I want to change a watermark I first try to remove any old layers. E.g.,
page.PageLayers.DeleteOldLayer("header");

But, this doesn't seem to be working correctly.
Immediately after adding a layer to a page, I can see that it has been added to the PageLayers collection, and that it's Name property corresponds to the name I gave the layer. However, when I reopen the Pdf none of the layers have the name that was assigned. However, the layer seems to exist because the watermark was added successfully.

When DeleteOldLayer is called the it seems to either only remove the content of the specified layer, hide the layer, or it deletes the layer, but add another one that is not displayed. Either way, the old watermark is gone, but the number of layers has not gone down. The result is that the Pdfs grow in size with each successive layer added.

Additionally, sometimes when I open the Pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader I get and error message "An error exists on this page..."

matthewcogniva

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:44 am

Dear matthewcogniva,

Thanks for your inquiry.
I have noticed the DeleteOldLayer issue after adding layer, and posted it to our Dev team. We will inform you when there is any progress.
For the second issue getting and error message "An error exists on this page...", could you please provide us with input file and the entire code you were using here or send them to us(Support@e-iceblue.com) via email ? That would be very helpful to investigate the issue.

Thanks,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm

I have also tried using RemoveAt() to remove a layer. This doesn't work either. It seems to me that you need to fix layer removal.

What I would like to see is:
* Removal of PageLayers fixed
* The persistence of the Name and LayerId properties on PageLayers
* Make the Name and LayerId properties public

This way I could iterate through the layers, find the one with the Name I'me looking for, and then use the Remove method that takes a PageLayer as a parameter to remove the layer.

matthewcogniva

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:28 am

Dear matthewcogniva,

Thanks for response.
The only solution for deleting layer issue is waiting for the fix, and I have submitted your requirements(Make the Name and LayerId properties public) to our Dev team. And I will inform you when it is finished.
Sorry for inconvenience caused.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 am

Dear matthewcogniva,

Thanks for your waiting.
Now the deleting layer issue has been fixed in Spire.PDF Pack(Hot Fix) Version:3.9.181. Please note that the method page.PageLayers.Remove is to delete the layer just generated by code, and the method page.PageLayers.DeleteOldLayer is to delete the layer which already exists in input document.
In addition, sorry that we don't publish the Name and LayerId properties at present as some issues. We will publish them later, and let you know when the hotfix includes the properties.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Betsy,

Unfortunately, being able to find page layers by Name or LayerId is essential to my project. Without persistent identifiers I don't know which layers are my watermarks, and so I don't know which layers to remove when I want to change a watermark.

Matthew

matthewcogniva

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:59 am

Dear Matthew,

Thanks for your feedback.
Our Dev team are adjusting the properties, and we will let you know when they are published. So sorry for the inconvenivence.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 am

Dear Matthew,

Thanks for your waiting.
Now we public the name of the layer, please download Spire.PDF Pack(Hot Fix) Version:3.9.360. And here is sample code for your reference.
string name = doc.Layers[0].Name;

In addition, we adjust the code about layers.
//add layer
PdfLayer layer = doc.Layers.AddLayer("red line", PdfVisibility.On);
PdfCanvas pcA = layer.CreateGraphics(doc.Pages[0].Canvas);
pcA.DrawLine(new PdfPen(PdfBrushes.Red, 1), new PointF(0, 100), new PointF(100, 100));
layer = doc.Layers.AddLayer("blue line");
PdfCanvas pcB = layer.CreateGraphics(doc.Pages[0].Canvas);
pcB.DrawLine(new PdfPen(PdfBrushes.Blue, 1), new PointF(0, 150), new PointF(100, 150));
//remove the layer by name
doc.Layers.RemoveLayer(("red line");

If there is any question, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Betsy
E-iceblue support team

Betsy.jiang

Return to Spire.PDF