Spire.PDF is a professional PDF library applied to creating, writing, editing, handling and reading PDF files without any external dependencies. Get free and professional technical support for Spire.PDF for .NET, Java, Android, C++, Python.

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 am

We have a license for Spire.PDF for .NET and are using it to fill in data into fields in a PDF and then we re-save the PDF. These re-saved PDFs open and display correctly in every PDF reader except Acrobat. In Acrobat a bunch of fields don't show the data that was entered into them at all - it's as if they are still blank.

I have a simple way to demonstrate this. I wrote a simple program that opens a PDF, iterates through all fields and just fills in sequential numbers into all the fields, and then saves the form. This is a large PDF with over 900 fields.

When you open this saved PDF in Acrobat, after some number of fields, they start showing as empty. In every other PDF viewer, all the fields show as filled in.

If I take this same PDF and open it in a PDF view and manually enter in data and re-save, then when opened in Acrobat, all the fields show as filled in.

Something in the way that Spire.PDF filled in fields does not work when viewed in Acrobat.

I've attached the PDF that Spire.PDF generates where I put data in all fields as save it. If you open in Acrobat, starting on page 8, Line 13c, all the fields for the rest of the page are blank. A ew fields show on page 9 but then the rest are missing. Fields start showing again until page 14, then they are all blank. If you open this same PDF in any other PDF viewer, they are not blank - all fields have text filled in.

davidjade

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am

Hello,

Thanks for your inquiry.
I opened your PDF file with Acrobat and some other PDF viewers and did observe the behavior you mentioned. And then I tested the following code with the latest Spire.PDF Pack(Hot Fix) Version:7.3.3 to fill the text fields, I found that the generated document has the same problem. I have logged this issue in our bug tracking system with the ticket SPIREPDF-4171. If there is any update, we will let you know. Apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Code: Select all
            String input = @"stuffed_YR2020-all.pdf";
            PdfDocument pdf = new PdfDocument();
            pdf.LoadFromFile(input);

PdfFormWidget formWidget = pdf.Form as PdfFormWidget;

PdfTextBoxFieldWidget textbox2 = formWidget.FieldsWidget["topmostSubform[0].Page2[0].f2_11[0]"] as PdfTextBoxFieldWidget;
            int i = 0;
            foreach (PdfFieldWidget pdfFieldWidget in formWidget.FieldsWidget)
            {
                pdfFieldWidget.ReadOnly = false;
                if(pdfFieldWidget is PdfTextBoxFieldWidget)
                {
                    PdfTextBoxFieldWidget textbox = pdfFieldWidget as PdfTextBoxFieldWidget;
                    textbox.Text = (++i).ToString();
                } 
            }

pdf.SaveToFile("result.pdf", FileFormat.PDF);

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks for verifying the issue.

Here is our problem though. We just paid for a license and now the product is not working as advertised and doing we need it to do. We can't control what PDF viewer our users use, especially when the industry standard one doesn't work.

Can you give us any assurance and timeline of when this might be fixed?

I am sure all customer issues are high priority to them, but this one really is for us as we're filling out tax forms for customers and they are due shortly.

davidjade

Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 am

Hello,

Thanks for your response.
I’m sorry that we are unable to tell you an estimated time about fixing at this moment. Our Dev team is still doing investigation on your issue.

And since the PDF you provide is not the original document, but the result document that has been populated with data. I learned from our Dev team that the internal data of the edited document has changed, which may have an impact on locating the cause of the issue. To help us perform an accurate analysis, could you please provide us with your original file and the test code you used? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Besides, we don't find the purchase information related to your register email. Could you please provide your Order number or purchase email so that we could record your purchase information?

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi,

Here is the blank form to try.

I work for the person who bought the license for me, the developer, to do this work. It was order # 9309.

My test code looks very similar to yours:

Code: Select all
         PdfFormWidget formWidget = doc.Form as PdfFormWidget;
         for (int i = 0; i < formWidget.FieldsWidget.List.Count; i++)
         {
            PdfField field = formWidget.FieldsWidget.List[i] as PdfField;

PdfTextBoxFieldWidget TextField = field as PdfTextBoxFieldWidget;
            if (TextField != null)
            {
               TextField.Text = i.ToString();
            }

PdfCheckBoxWidgetFieldWidget CheckboxField = field as PdfCheckBoxWidgetFieldWidget;
            if (CheckboxField != null)
            {
               CheckboxField.Checked = true;
            }
         }

davidjade

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 am

Hello,

Thanks for your sharing.
I have forwarded this information to our Dev team and they will investigate the issue further. If there is any good news, we will notify you immediately.

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 am

Hello,

Hope you are doing well.
I got news from our Dev team that regarding the issue SPIREPDF-4171, your test environment will also have an impact on the output file. To make sure we can solve your issue perfectly, please provide us with your OS information (e.g. Win7 64bit) and your region settings (e.g. China, Chinese) to help us perform the test. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 am

Hello,

Glad to inform you that our Dev team has fixed the issue of ticket SPIREPDF-4171. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:10 am

Hello David,

Greetings from E-iceblue!
Glad to inform you that we just released Spire.PDF Pack(Hot Fix) Version:7.6.15 which fixes the issue SPIREPDF-4171, please download it from the following links to test on your side. Looking forward to your test result.
Nuget link: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Spire.PDF/7.6.15
https://www.nuget.org/packages/Spire.PDF.NETCore/7.6.15
Website link: https://www.e-iceblue.com/Download/down ... t-now.html

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:52 am

Hello,

Hope you are doing well.
Does this hotfix solve your issue? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Brian
E-iceblue support team

Brian.Li

Return to Spire.PDF