Spire.PDFViewer is a powerful PDF Viewer component for .NET. It allows developers to load PDF document from stream, file and byte array.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:21 am

Hello!
We are currently evaluating the PDFViewer for .net. So far it looks good. It is slower than the adobe component, but it does not carry the disadvantages which are the main reason why we would like to replace the component.

Now we noticed quite a strange behaviour in our application and it is absolutely sure that they are caused by the Spire.PDF components.
Here is what happens, randomly, but several times a day on each workstation:
- one or more PDFs would not be loaded correctly into the viewer. The display area remains gray.
- as soon as that happened, the culture settings of our application are changing! Date-Format suddenly changes from DD.MM.YYYY to YYYY/MM/DD or even to MM-DD-YYYY. Decimal separator changes from "." (German) to "," (US/English). Keyboard layout obviously does *not* change.

Terminating the .net application and restarting it will solve both problems; that is: Documents are suddenly displayed correctly again in the viewer area, and the cultural settings are correct again.

What can we do about it, please?

KnappsteinTrial

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 am

Hi KnappsteinTrial,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Could you provide us with your document which has the problem? So that we can reproduce your problem quickly, and solve it as soon as possible. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Amy
e-iceblue support

amy.zhao

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Hello Amy,
thanks for the support. AFAIK it is not connected to any special File. It can happen to some files once, but does not happen again to the same files after a restart.
It happens on all seats (30-50) where we tested it.

We will try to isolate some files where this is happening, and then we can probably figure out, what might be the cause.
Meanwhile I would be thankful if you could re-check the source code of Spire.PDFViewer for any possible leaks. No matter what, IMO an external DLL should never re-set the culture object for the calling application!

A possible problem might be the speed of the network. The PDF files in question are on a DMS repository which sometimes is extremely busy, so that response time goes up (delay of 2-4 seconds is possible at times).
Maybe some kind of timeout will cause the misbehaviour?

KnappsteinTrial

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 am

Dear KnappsteinTrial,

We released Spire.PDFViewer Pack Version:1.5 yesterday, we change some code about your problems. Because you don't provide us with the original pdf files, so we are not sure that your issues are fixed completely. Please download the new release from http://www.e-iceblue.com/Download/downl ... t-now.html and rerun with your pdf files.
We will appreciate it if you could give us some feedback after testing.
For the timeout problem and loading file issue, we suggest that you download your pdf files to your computer and open them in local, we think it will be better. If the two problems still exist in local, please tell us.

Best wishes,
Amy
e-iceblue support

amy.zhao

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hello Amy,
thanks for the support. If we can get this fixed, we're sure to become customers.
I will implement the new version and report back.

Operating from local storage is not an option because we need this in multiuser environment concurrently. There'd be the risk that the same document gets into the repository twice, if selecction is made from local storage.
If problems still remain after implementing 1.5, I will nevertheless test for differences between local and LAN storage.

I will upload one PDF which caused problems only this morning. Maybe you will find something else in this file to help fix these problems.
You can see that it definitely is not a matter of the document size, because it is rather small.
[I get the message from the forum software "The extension PDF is not allowed". Renaming extension to TXT, or whatever else results in similar message. Renaming to JPG causes an error when uploading. Please provide an e-mail-adress where I can send the attachment to...]

regards,
André

KnappsteinTrial

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 am

Dear KnappsteinTrial,

You could upload your files by pack a .zip package. Also you can send us the attachment by e-mail, our mailbox address is support@e-iceblue.com.

Thanks and Regards,
Amy
e-iceblue support

amy.zhao

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am

Hello,
I understood from another post (concerning Crystal Reports exported PDFs) that you were on holiday. I hope you are back now.
I sent some screenshots and 2 example PDFs to the e-mail adress you posted.

The errors still happen after installing the latest release of the components.

KnappsteinTrial

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:36 am

Hi KnappsteinTrial,

Thanks for testing spire.pdfViewer.
We have got the information about your problems from e-mail, we will do some researches on the problems you mentioned, and do our best to solve your problems as soon as possible. Once we have any progress, we will inform you immediately.

Best regards,
Amy
E-iceblue support

amy.zhao

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:25 am

Hi KnappsteinTrial,

We do some tests even batch to test many pdf files, but we still can not reproduce the problem displaying blank page and garbage page. About the problem that the culture is changed, we try to do a fix for it, but we not are sure the fix can fix your problem because we don't have your work environment, you can test the hotfix on your work environment, we maybe release the hotfix next week. Once it is released, we will inform you immediately.

Best regards,
Amy
E-iceblue support

amy.zhao

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:40 am

Hi KnappsteinTrial,

Thanks for you waiting.
Please download Spire.PDFViewer Pack Version:1.6 from the link http://www.e-iceblue.com/Download/download-pdf-viewer-for-net-now.html. If you have any problem, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
Amy
E-iceblue support

amy.zhao

Return to Spire.PDFViewer