Spire.Doc is a professional Word .NET library specifically designed for developers to create, read, write, convert and print Word document files. Get free and professional technical support for Spire.Doc for .NET, Java, Android, C++, Python.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:33 pm

I am using Spire.doc Free version. I am using it to convert preexisting Word documents to Pdf files.

On my development machine everything works fine. However, when I install it on a user's machine it crashes when it hits the Spire code.

I install the app via a .NET installation project, which creates a Setup file and an .msi file. It includes all the necessary Spire .dlls - Spire.Doc, Spire.License and Spire.Pdf, and I can see them successfully loaded on the client machine. But the app still crashes.

The error message is a very general one "The application has an error" and closes down. The Spire code is within a Try...Catch, yet the error is not a type that is even caught. No other info. However, I have definitely narrowed down the crash site to the command Dim Doc as New Spire.Doc.Document.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any assistance.

shamada

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:29 am

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.
It might be caused the installation pack you created, to verify it, please zip your project and test it on the user's machine. And if convenience, you can also send the app to us for testing.
Thanks,
Gary
E-iceblue support team

Gary.zhang

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:14 pm

I tried installing the app on another machine, thinking that perhaps the machine was the problem. However, it did not work on the second machine either.

Both machines are running Windows XP.

I have uploaded the .zip file to you. All the necessary logic is in the modMain module.

shamada

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:29 am

Hello,

Thanks for your response. Sorry that we can't see the .zip file you mentioned, please send it to our email(support@e-iceblue.com).
Thanks,
Gary
E-iceblue support team

Gary.zhang

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:12 pm

In a private post, Gary advised me that my problem was that I had my program .exe in one subdirectory, while I had the Spire .dlls in another. That turned out to be the solution to my problem, so I thank Gary for that.

My question is, is that a standard in .NET, that the .dlls need to be in the same subdirectory as the .exe? I have other .NET .dlls from other manufacturers (for instance Infragistics .NET controls), and they don't need to be in the same subdirectory as the .exe.

Why does Spire require this?

In either case, thanks Gary.

shamada

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:07 am

Hello,

Thanks for your response.
For this situation, it is not only for our product, as you can also see that when a application is released, the .exe is in the same subdirectory as the dlls it needs, if you remove them, .exe will not run. So is the installation.
Feel free to contact us any time if you need further help or have some other issue or queries, we will be happy to assist you soon.
Sincerely,
Gary
E-iceblue support team

Gary.zhang

Return to Spire.Doc